The first fortification on the site of the current Fort Ontario was built
by the British in 1755. Called the "Fort of the Six Nations", it was
destroyed by the French during the French and Indian War. Construction of a second
British fort began on the same site in 1759. During the American Revolution, the
the British abandoned the Fort, and in 1778, American troops destroyed it. In
1782, the British reoccupied Fort Ontario, and didn't forfeit it to the U.S. until
1796, thirteen years after the cessation of hostilities in the Revolution. During
the War of 1812, the derelict fort was attacked by the British, and once again,
destroyed. The fort that stands today was built between 1839 and 1844. Major masonry
improvements to the forts outer wall were undertaken, but left incomplete when
in 1872, congress cancelled its funding. By 1901, the old fort was abandoned.
Click on Link for Hours of Operation. Museum Hours of Operation 2009
© 2004, City of Oswego. No portion may be reproduced without written permission.