10 Questions With Deputy City Clerk

Q: What do I need to obtain a copy of a birth certificate?
A: To obtain a birth certificate, one must produce proof of identification. Only spouses, parents, legal guardians, or children of a person may acquire their birth certificate: the cost is $15.00. 

Q: What do I need to obtain a copy of a death certificate?
A: In order to obtain someone's death certificate, proper identification must be produced to ensure that the person who desires the certificate is either the spouse or a child of the deceased. The cost is, once again, $15.00. 

Q: What do I need to receive a marriage license?
A: Those who desire a marriage license must be at least 18 years old and be able to produce identification: this includes a birth certificate and a driver's license. Also, if either person has been previously married, they must produce divorce papers to receive a license. Both persons must be present in order to obtain a marriage license, and there is a 24 hour waiting period to receive the certification: the cost is $40.00, and it is good for 60 days. 

Q: How does one achieve a marriage license if they are under 18 years old?
A: In order for a minor to be granted a marriage license, he/she must receive written consent from both parents. 

Q: What licenses does the Clerk's Office issue?
A: The clerk offers a large number of licenses including: marriage licenses, conservation licenses, birth certificates, death certificates, peddler licenses, dog licenses, auctioneer licenses, electrical licenses, solid waste collection licenses, going-out-of business licenses, games-of-chance licenses, taxi licenses, and taxi driver licenses. 

Q: What are conservation licenses?
A: Conservation licenses are permits offered by the clerk that allow residents to hunt and fish legally. These licenses include hunting for small game and large game, fishing, trapping, and archery. There are a number of different fees to obtain such licenses. 

Q: What is the "Tickler System"?
A: The tickler system is a series of steps that is used to renew leases held by the City of Oswego. The City Clerk is involved in this process because when the building lease of a location occupied by the City of Oswego comes close to its expiration, the Clerk's office will notify the Common Council and a new lease will be drawn up. All new or renewed leases have to be reviewed by the Common Council before any action is taken. 

Q: What is the job of the city clerk, dealing with the Common Council meetings?
A: The City Clerk has numerous jobs to handle during Common Council meetings. One of the most important duties of the Clerk is to record the minutes of the Council meetings. Also, the clerk often serves as the witness to the Mayor while he is signing important documents. 

Q: How can I receive a license to sell merchandise during Harborfest?
A: One must be granted a peddler's license from the clerk's office in order to receive a permit to sell during Harborfest. Also, because the Harborfest Committee is granted all rights to Oswego city parks during the event, the vender must clear their request to sell with officials of Harborfest. 

Q: Where can I find out more information about the Clerk's Office?
A: For more information call 342-8116


Close this window.